Removing barriers to trade with the aim of unleashing the potential for greater cooperation between countries involved is a major task in building the Belt and Road.
Major measures the countries and regions along the Belt and Road could take include:
• Creating mechanisms to facilitate free trade and the removal of investment and trade barriers;
• Opening free trade areas to create a business-friendly environment at the regional and national levels and unleash the potential for cooperation;
• Improving the transparency of technical measures and reduce non-tariff barriers in order to liberalize and facilitate trade;
• Expanding trading areas, improving trade structures, and exploring new growth areas in order to attain trade balance;
• Integrating investment and trade, and boosting trade with investment;
• Incorporating a focus on cooperation in ecological conservation, protecting bio-diversity and addressing climate change into investment and trade strategies in a joint effort to build a Silk Road to green development;
• Optimizing industry, value, supply and service chains, and promoting economic complementarity, interaction and mutual assistance between countries and regions concerned; and
• Exploring new development opportunities, and creating an open economic environment that encourages the search for win-win solutions, respects diversity, enhances security and promotes efficiency.